Pokemon cards sold very well.
We covered recently that Shiny Star V was the #1 most sold product on eBay Japan in the first quarter of 2021.
Now The Pokemon Company has published their worldwide sales data for fiscal year 2020/2021 (as of the end of March 2021) and they have sold 3.7 billion Pokemon cards and a lifetime total of over 34.1 billion cards. It's their biggest year so far for the Trading Card Game in the past 5 years. That is good for 10.85% of their lifetime sales sold in their fiscal year of 2020/2021.
Compared to last year's 2019/2020 financial results (which also was the biggest year back then in the past 5 years), there is a 15% growth in sales.
Last fiscal year 2019/2020 they sold 3.1 billion cards (as of the end of March 2020) compared to 1.5 billion cards and (as of the end of March 2019).
We are very curious what the results will be for next fiscal year 2021/2022. Year 2 of Sword & Shield TCG is very popular right now. Eevee Heroes might be their most popular set in years. There is currently no supply to meet the demand for this set.
The Pokemon Company has apologized today for the low supply of Eevee Heroes in Japan. They have started reprinting the set Eevee Heroes and will continue to reprint and resell other previously released products products that are in a shortage.
Some TCG sales history data from the past fiscal years:
- 2020/2021 - 34.1 billion cards - (as of the end of March 2021)
- 2019/2020 - 30.4 billion cards - (as of the end of March 2020)
- 2019 - 28.8 billion cards - (as of the end of September 2019)
- 2018/2019 - 27.2 billion cards - (as of the end of March 2019)
- 2017/2018 - 25.7 billion cards - (as of the end of March 2018)
- 2016/2017 - 23.6 billion cards - (as of the end of March 2017)
- 2015/2016 seems not to be present
- 2014/2015 - 21.5 billion cards - (as of the end of March 2015)